Posted by Matt Seward, 16 March 2011
We have recently overhauled the ecommerce website of one of our longest standing clients Go-Electrical, refreshing the web design and porting the entire site to the Magento ecommerce platform.
Regular Go-Electrical customers will have noticed a number of new features, many of which pretty much come as standard with Magento. Including:
- Filtering products by attributes (price bands, brand, colour, dimensions, power, etc)
- Side-by-side product comparision
- 1 page checkout (via SagePay Direct Payment Gateway)
- Product suggestions (Cross-selling) from within the basket
- Redeamable Promotion codes
We also had to flex our web developer muscles to produce some bespoke Magento tools and provide the following:
- Rich Configurable Products*
- Sage Integration (Accounting Software)
- Price Comparison Engine Product Information (feed) Management
- Migration of legacy data (incl. URL mapping to ensure no search traffic was disrupted)
- Wordpress Integration
A major challenge in this project was migrating this large ecommerce site (3000+ products) with a minimum amount of disruption to customers and marketing programmes. To this end we performed the migration in the early hours of December 23rd as the period following the last Christmas delivery slot is relatively quiet.
Working with the team at Go-Electrical was a real pleasure (as always) and together we managed to deliver a new incarnation of the site with a mimum of disruption and maximum benefit to their customers.